Updated 11:30 GMT / 19:30 GMT+8, March 18, 2019.
Our engineers continue to monitor the situation and work to maintain connection reliability. We now have further updates for those experiencing issues connecting with the ExpressVPN app for routers—please contact the ExpressVPN Support Team for details.
1. Use the latest versions of the ExpressVPN apps
Keeping your app up to date is critical to getting connected. Follow these links to download the newest versions of:
- ExpressVPN for Windows
- ExpressVPN for Mac
- ExpressVPN for Android: Google Play Store or APK installer file
- ExpressVPN for iOS: iOS App Store (if the app is not available, you may need to change your App Store country to get the latest version)
- ExpressVPN for Linux
- ExpressVPN for Routers (if you are a router user, please contact the ExpressVPN Support Team for advice on the latest updates)
2. Set the protocol in your ExpressVPN app to Automatic
- Windows: ≡ > Options > Protocol > Automatic (Recommended)
- Mac: ≡ > Preferences… > Protocol > Automatic (Recommended)
- Android: ≡ > Settings > VPN Protocol > Automatic
- iOS: ≡ > Settings > VPN Protocol > Automatic
- Linux: type expressvpn preferences set preferred_protocol auto
- Router: ExpressVPN router dashboard > VPN Options > VPN Protocol > Automatic
3. Wait for your app to complete its connection request
At times, connecting may take longer than usual. Please let your app finish a connection attempt before retrying, only doing so after your app indicates that it is unable to connect.
4. Try connecting to these locations
- Hong Kong – 4
- USA – Los Angeles – 5
- Hong Kong – 5
- Japan – Tokyo – 1
- UK – Wembley
- Singapore – Marina Bay
- Germany – Nuremberg
If you can’t connect to these server locations on your first attempt, we recommend trying to connect to them again rather than trying locations not listed here.
5. Keep checking this page
We will continue to update this page with the latest guidance, including new recommended server locations.
If you need further assistance, please contact the ExpressVPN Support Team.